Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 5...What Happend to the Weekend?

So, things don't seem to be getting much easier. It has now been two weeks since Mrs. Singh arrived, and I thought by this point things would be going smoothly. Again, I am so wrong-this keeps happening! The first few days after she arrived were a little hectic and stressful, then everything seemed to be working out well and the future was bright. Now, here were are on the very cusp of week 3, and the light has faded to the slightest glimmer, barely visible to the human eye. This past weekend was supposed to be a time to enjoy together, the three of us, skipping and laughing with the sun shining down on us. Well, we did actually get a little bit of sunshine, but not so much on the skipping and laughing. This past weekend was a roller coaster, zooming up and down until we all wanted to puke. Ok, so enough with the innuendos. I didn't even get a chance to write this daily blog in the past two days...or maybe I didn't even want to, but now it seems time.

I don't remember too many new things that I have learned through the haze of the weekend, but there are a few things that come to mind that have been irking me since Mrs. Singh arrived, and they were definitely in full swing this past weekend.

So, it is November now, meaning it will only get colder, and colder as time goes on. This being said, we live in California. It's pretty warm here. After living in England, and then Virginia my whole life, I know that it is not really cold here. Even so, I understand that someone traveling from India for the first time could find it very cold here. I get this, and that is fine; it is something we can work with. But something that I can not work with, is someone who is not willing to wear the lovely Snuggie that we bought her! Yes, that is right-a Snuggie! After hearing complaints about being cold for a few days, the boyfriend and I decided to get Mrs. Singh a Snuggie. So, I thought the complaints, and shivering, and exclaiming, "thanda, thanda, thanda", five million times a day would cease. Again, wrong!

When I was growing up, if I complained about being cold, my Dad would say to me, "Put some clothes on". The heat was not getting turned up until we started seeing our breath indoors. So, I would put layers of clothes and blankets on and moved around until I was warm. Not a big deal. Well, apparently that will not be the case here. Mrs. Singh spends most of the day complaining about being cold, and it just seems as though nothing helps. I ask her to wear the Snuggie we got for her, to put a sweatshirt on, or maybe some socks. I do agree that it can get cold inside this apartment during the day, because trees block a lot of the sun, but it just do what I learned from my Father.

Again, we are in California, and do not live in a luxury apartment, so we do not have central air. We have a little heater/radiator thingy in the living room that takes years to heat the whole place. Using this everyday, all day would be ridiculously expensive on the electricity bill, and it just makes sense to use every other method possible before turning that thing on. Still, Mrs. Singh is now taking the liberty of turning it on whenever she wants to, without evening trying the Snuggie first! Then she turns it on, but seems to stay as far away as possible from it, thus not receiving any of the heat. Will this madness ever end?


to be continued to find out....

1 comment: